Its been a while! End of term, dissertation, life!
Hope you are all doing well and taking time to enjoy this beautiful weather.
Today’s topic…. watermelons! I LOVE them and have been eating LOADS lately. I love them in salads with fresh mint, cooked on the barbecue with lime and coriander – if you havent tried it, do it now – and most of all as a juice, first thing in the morning. They are so sweet and refreshing and incredibly good for your body and cells.
Here are the top amazing things that watermelon can do for you:
- they are one of the easiest foods for our stomachs to digest
- they contain large amounts of silica, great for joints, teeth, hair, nails and bones
- although they are around 90% water, the mineral and nutrient content in them is huge. The water in watermelons is almost the same as our blood and contains potassium, glucose and sodium – essential for hydration and detoxifying
- they thin the blood, which helps to protect against heart, liver and kidney diseases
- they are anti-inflammatory, protecting against disease
- high in vitamins A&C – vitamin A, among other things is essential for eye health
- helps to boost the immune system
- loaded with antioxidants
- helps keep our pH levels neutral, and great for relieving indigestion
- lowers high blood pressure
- it’s a natural aphrodisiac – BONUS!
It’s a pretty miraculous fruit really, and at the moment they are really cheap and really delicious. If you find that eating watermelon gives you tummy ache, try eating it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, rather than later in the day. It digests so fast that if you eat it after heavy food it will sit and ferment and cause tummy ache and bloating. No one wants that!
If you are finding this hot weather too much, get yourself some watermelon and rehydrate. It can also help to prevent heat stroke. Dogs can eat it too, if you remove the seeds and skin, so give your pup a refreshing treat as well!
If you have any great ways that you love to eat watermelon, let me know below or tag me on instagram with a picture!
Until next time, enjoy the sunshine and keep hydrated!